Dr. Armstrong
Dr. Armstrong, Doctor
Experience:  Medical degree Glasgow School of Medicine 2002

I was just recently diagnosed with sparse perivascular dermatitis

I was just recently diagnosed with "sparse perivascular dermatitis with eosinophils". What is this in layman's term? I have rashes all over my body that have been going on since the end of January 2009. The histopathologic differential diagnosis includes drug eruption, timid response to an anthrpod bite, and less likely, late stage uticaria. What is uticaria? Clinical correlation was recommended. They will do more blood test to try to determine actually what's causing my condition. I presently take Lisinopril for high blood pressure & Simvastin for high cholesterol. I've also been prescribed by my primary doctor 2 dose packs of medniprednisone for which they thought would get rid of the rash or fungus which they thought I had. The fungus has been ruled out by the dermatologist which diagnosed my condition. What are my options for treatment from the diagnosis I received?
Hi there,

Perivascular dermatitis with eosinophils - the perivascular relates to the rashes location which is close to the very small blood vessels which feed the skin. Dermatitis relates to inflammation of the layer of skin and eosinophils are blood cells that are involved in inflammatory and allergic reactions.

Urticaria is the medical name for hives. Raised red wheals on the body that are normally itchy.

What this all means is that you likely have an allergic reaction. This could be due to medications. Especially your lisinopril which can cause allergy even if you have been taking it for years. It is also possible that this is due to a change in washing powder. A food allergy or quite often we never find the trigger.

It is likely that you doctor will be performing blood tests to look for the cause of this allergy. Prednisone should help control your symptoms while a cause is found and eliminated.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Armstrong! I'm glad you cleared that up. I understand the information much better now. I'd starting surfing the net while waiting on your response and got paranoid after reading other sites which gave information about hyperkeratosis and hyperplasia. This is something I forgot to include in my question. The doctor's comments stated that there was slight hyperkeratosis present overlying slight hyperplasia of the epidermis. Also sparse, superficial, perivascular mononuclear cells and eosinophils are seen. After reading this information, my only thought was cancer. I had a daughter to recently die from lymphoma due to complications of HIV. Am I right to be afraid or should I relax?
Hi there,

You can relax. This is a perfectly normal change seen with an allergic reaction. It is just due to the swelling.