MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine

What would cause sudden onset of bleeding in the eye without

What would cause sudden onset of bleeding in the eye without any trama?
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
How old is the person? Do you mean the white of the eye turned red painlessly? Any recent cold or cough?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is 43 and yes the white of teh eye turned red but with pain. No cold or caugh. She was just sitting relaxing after work when she got pain and the bleeding. She did see a doctor who told her he didn't know what it was but that it was serious and the bleeding was under the film of the eye (I don't know what that is called). Can you help???
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
The most likely cause of bleeding of this type is a "subconjunctival hemorrhage". Here is a link to a reliable site that discusses this:
However I am confused because that is NOT a serious condition. The MD might be seeing something that I can't see. You certainly should follow his instructions (since he has examined the patient).
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.