Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

can drinking too much alcohol cause rectal bleeding

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-from how long are you drinking alcohol?
-do you have any liver problems due to alcohol?
-whats your age?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been drinking heavily for 5 months, I am 58 years old, I don,t know if I have liver problems, I never did before , but I probably do now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello

Yes rectal bleeding can be caused by drinking alcohol.Because alcohol causes problems in liver which increases portal pressure and that can lead to bleeding in esophageal varices(dilated esophageal veins) and intestinal varices(dilated veins which bleed easily).

So my advise-go to your physician and ask him to do AST(aspartate amino transferase),ALT(alanine aminotransferase),and then possibly endoscopy and colonoscopy to cauterize the vessel if needed.

(AST and ALT are liver enzymes and if AST>ALT ratio is >2 that means its alcohol causing problems)

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what does all this mean. I don,t uderstand
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello

You asked"can drinking too much alcohol cause rectal bleeding "

Answer is Yes.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne ,for what I mentioned before is that rectal bleeding can be caused by drinking alcohol.
So my advise is -go to your physician and print what i have mentioned and discuss with him,so that your physician can run some tests to get you a diagnosis and provide treatment accordingly.

Thanks