MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine

quite a bit and has pretty much stopped now unless i put weight

I accidentally cut across my kneecap. It bled quite a bit and has pretty much stopped now unless i put weight on it or i press on it. Is this something I should go to the emergency room for?
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately I can't tell over the phone how deep it is. THat is the key question as the major concern is whether or not there is ANY chance of damage to structures underneath the skin.SInce I can't tell I have to recommend a trip to the ED. Also, if you haven't had a tetanus in the last 5 years you need one.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I understand what you're saying; however, because of financial difficulties I can't justify spending the bucks on an er visit unless it is a matter of life or death. Would this fall under that category? I mean, what is the worst that could happen if I didn't go to the er?
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
IF (and I realize this is a big if) the cut were deep enough, you could wind up permanently crippled from a cut, untreated tendon or from an infection in the kneecap.
Please click ACCEPT.