DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health

My RDW is 15.6 a little high and my MCV is okay. According

My RDW is 15.6 a little high and my MCV is okay. According to what I see here I'm either low in vitamin B12 or folic acid. How do I know which one? Thanks Todd
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 7 years ago.
Hello Customer!
The MCV is usually high in either so with a normal MCV it is unlikely you lack either. The only way to know for sure is to get specific levels of each. The RDW indicates that there is a larger variety of sizes of blood cells. This can be from premature ones being released to compensate for loss or anemia. Along with B12 and folate your dr can check ferritin and TIBC to see if you iron stores are low even if your hemoglobin and iron levels are okay.
You may be just low iron with no anemia but unlikely B12 or folate unless MCV were high.
Good Luck
Hope this helps!