Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

My liver enzymes are elevated and my white count is low. Ive

My liver enzymes are elevated and my white count is low. I've been in the hospital with fever, chills, nausea, horrible body aches, headache. This is all started with a UTI. My doctor has deicided I must have a bad viral infection that has affected my liver and kidneys. I'm not satisfied with that. Any ideas? What does a low white count mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-what is your age?
-Are you alcoholic?
-any history of cancer in family?
-do you get recurrent infections ?
-on what medications are you on?
-are you diagnosed with any medical disease?
-any history of unprotected sex?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a 59 yr. old female (caucasion) retired floral designer. I've had a long history of bladder problems. I was in the hospital once in 2005 and twice in 2006 with this same illness. I didn't have as much nausea or body aches. Finally I had a bladder suspension in Nov.07 and have done pretty well. I've had about 3 UTI since then but not bad. I rarely if ever drink. My Mother's sister and niece both died from cancer. One from cancer in her chest that spread and my cousin had lung cancer. Both heavy smokers. My Mother never smoked but she died in 1996 with Pulmonary Fibrosis. Her Mother died of the same thing and her youngest sister died in 2005 with it also.
Do not have unprotected sex. I have been diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol and tryglerides(under control now) low thyroid, acid reflux, P.A.D in left leg (mild), high blood pressure, depression,anxiety.
I take the following medications: Prevacid, synthroid, lamectal, cymbalta, xanax, Avapro (for high blood pressure), Lipitor, Lovaza, Metforman. My doctor discontinued the Lipitor while I was in the hospital this week. I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I do have moderate pain every day and some days very severe.
I hope this helps you. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Now you mentioned “My liver enzymes are elevated and my white count is low” and your physician is considering it to be a viral infection.That could be a possibility because viral infection can cause increase liver enzymes and low .Now as I can see that you are anxious to know more so :-
Ask your physician what is level of ALT and AST .If ALT and AST are elevated above 1000 then its viral hepatitis like hepatitis A,B,C, if level between 50-500 then it could be from normal viral infection ,drug induced or alcohol. You mentioned that your doctor stopped Lipitor but that also can cause elevation of liver enzymes.

These AST and ALT are liver enzymes.Also do ask him whats the level of serum bilirubin,total and indirect.

There could also be a possibility that when you were in the hospital and you were put on strong antibiotics for your urinary tract infection, which may also cause drug induced liver inflammation and cause elevated liver enzymes as most of the drugs are metabolized in liver. Here I am not talking about drug induced hepatitis.I am just referring to mild elevation of drug enzymes by drugs. Because the drugs that do cause hepatitis are not mentioned in your list of drugs so I am assuming that’s not the case here.

Now other possible causes of low blood count are seen in some leukemia,aplastic anemia(low red and white cell count and low platelets seen)and myleofibrosis(disorder in which bone marrow undergoes fibrosis).There are also some connective tissue disorders which also causes same symptoms. But connective tissue disorders are less likely without any symptoms. Me mentioning leukemia because of your family history of cancer, always better to rule it out.

What your physician will do is -after taking your blood he or pathologist will look it under microscope for any abnormal shaped cells. I am mentioning this if the cause of low white blood count is not due to viral infection.
If he does not find any reason he might go for bone marrow biopsy to find the causes like myelofibrosis.
Let me tell you also that there also benign causes of low white blood count of no consequences but firstly we have to rule out other possible causes to come to a diagnosis of exclusion.

Now my advise-If you are not satisfied with your physician`s finding of viral infection for increased liver enzymes and low white blood count then discuss the possibilities I mentioned and ask him to run the tests and ask him the level of liver enzymes.

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Dr. B., Doctor
Experience: Physician with 8 years of experience.