Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

Blood after Urination

About 3 1/2 weeks ago I saw a small drop of blood come out of my penis after urination and I got pretty worried. Urination was fine after a week or so till I saw some blood again but less than before. Urination was fine again for about 2 weeks till i saw a dark orange color when i finished wiping my penis what could it be ?

I had felt some burning and hurting when I urinated at some point during this ordeal. I am 23 years old and overweight. I am partially active during the week and haven't been involved in any accident. It's been a long time since i've been to a doctor. Any help is appreciated. Also when I drink only water for the day my urine is usually clear but it has come out a dark yellow. Also once during wiping myself after urination I saw tiny red dots in my urine.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear sakis,

Greetings and thankyou for using justanswer,

how long are you having symptoms?

did you have any investigations or consulted a doctor yet?

Any associated fever, abdomen pain, discharge?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would estimate it about 3 weeks total I been seeing these symptoms and it happened a few times

I have not consulted a doctor yet.

I have no fever. As far as pain goes I once had pain around the abdomen area more towards the right side but it has subsided ever since. However yesterday I did have minor pain near the groin area for a brief 2-3 seconds.

My urine has been fine lately but from time to time I would feel a burning/hurting sensation near the tip of my penis. I might add that it was a while since I had washed my private parts and had possibly contracted an infection from touching my penis with dirty hands especially when I lifted up the toilet seat. Is this a possibility ?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear sakis,

thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such bleeding from the urethra.The common ones are uti, trauma, kidney stone, bladder stone, acute nephritis, prostatitis, prstate cancer, etc.

As per the symptoms you have described there is a likely possibility of sone urinary tract infection which is causing such symptoms in you.The kidney stone can calso causes such symptoms of abdomen pain, haematuria,etc.

I advise you to have the relevant investigations done like abdomen sonography, x-ray kub region, urine routine examination, blood counts, etc. after consulting your urologist.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.The antibiotics like norfloxacin, septran, metroidazole may be prescribed for 7 days to control the bacterial infection if present.The treatment of other causes is accordingly.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After just a little over a month it has dissapeared and my urine comes out normal. During this course I have seen with the naked eye blood in my urine about 5-6 times in about a month or more. It did burn and hurt just a tad. Is it normal for hematuria to dissapear on its own without any meds ? Could it be possible I had an infection that lasted this long ?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear Sakis,

Greetings and thank you for the enquiry,

The infectious cause can last much longer if left untreated.You should take the appropriate antibiotic medicines like ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, septran, amoxycillin, etc. after consulting your doctor to treat the infection if your urien examination and urine c/s shows positive for infection.

As per your symptoms the infectious cause can have such symptoms like pain, burning sensation, blood in the urine which are experienced by you.

The other cause could be kidney stones which can also cause similar symptoms in you.

You should have the relevant investigations done like abdomen sonography, x-ray kub region, ct scan abdomen, blood counts, etc. after consulting your doctor to know the associated abnormality.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!