TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

I was just diagnosed with a sinus infection/MRSA - am I co

I was just diagnosed with a sinus infection/MRSA - am I contagious?

Hello jeanne marie-

If you have MRDA in your nose/ sinuses, then you almost certainly have it also on your skin- You would not necessarily need to have skin lesions/ boils but I would bet that you are 'colonized' with MRSA . This by itself is not a big deal- likely over 1 in 3 people have Staph bacteria on their skin., you just happen to have a particular strain that is more resistant to certain antibiotics.

So the answer is, yes you likely are contagious- through close contact with other people can transmit MRSA- that is likely how you picked it up in the first place.

I suspect your doctor has placed you on an antibiotic fro the MRSA- I usually also advise a topical intranasal antibacterial medicine called Bactroban, and would consider washing with an antibacterial solution called Hibiclens daily for a few days. These interventions seem to help clearing the bacteria.

But even if you do not clear it right away, the most important thing is good and frequent handwashing. This is not something that should drastically limit your activities- I would likely avoid people with a weakened immune system/ AIDS/ cancer/ or those with iv lines in place. But otherwise, I do not think I would make other limitations to your activity.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Does kissing, cheek to cheek close count? And I do have a prescribed nasal ointment.

Good- I suspect that is Bactroban- which is the proper medication.

There would be a small risk from kissing cheek to cheek- I would not say no risk, but likely low.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry, I meant kissing AND being cheek to cheek.

Yes. My above answer still applies :)