MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine

For the past 2 months I have been experiencing formication

For the past 2 months I have been experiencing formication in the anal area. I was checked for pinworms, etc. and nothing showed up, no hemorrhoids, fissures, nothing. I take no medications and have not been sexually active in 5 years, no diseases. I notice a lot of moisture in the area and the past couple of days I have been bright red there and felt raw.
Category: Medical
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
By formication do you mean THIS?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, except I have none of the contributing factors mentioned there, except that I am 57 and have been in menopause for nearly 10 years now. I was convinced it was some type of parasite initially, but the lab testing didn't show any. I took 2 rounds of meds for pinworms just in case, but it made no difference.
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried any other treatment? Have you been back to the MD since it started to feel raw and turned bright red?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have used OTC hydrocortisone cream on the redness, which seems to take the redness away fairly well, or at least it eases it considerably within hours. Nothing seems to faze the crawling sensation.

I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist the second day of the redness, but as I'm unemployed for two months and have no insurance, I don't need to spend the required minimum of $200 to see him if you may be able to help me.

Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
The initial symptoms can sometimes be due to the beginning of a fungal infection in the skin. THat location is a prime area for that. At this point, the excess moisture, raw feeling and redness suggest an advanced fungal infection. WHile you are waiting to see the GI MD, I would try washing and drying the area very carefully a couple of times a day and applying a topical anti-fungal cream or powder (available over the counter in any drugstore). Ask the pharmacist for help selecting one.
Please click ACCEPT>
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have some 2% Ketaconazole cream for occasional use on a spot on my face. Will that work?
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
Please click ACCEPT.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.