Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  30 years experience as doctor

I have crackling breath sounds when inhaling and exhaling when

I have crackling breath sounds when inhaling and exhaling when I'm laying down. I notice it every morning. I'm also very fatigued all day. Feel a bit fevered, but nothing over 100, sometimes no fever, sometimes lower than 98.6. Muscle and joint pain. Not coughing up mucous. Female, 41 years old. Not obese, but not in great shape (5'7", 165lbs), pretty sedentary lifestyle. No health insurance. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

How long are you having this?

Do you have any respiratory difficulty?

Did you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've noticed the breathing sounds for about 1 1/2 weeks.

Respiratory difficulty: I find that I get "winded" or out of breath very easily lately. Just walking from one room to another at times will tire me out. Other times itsnot so bad.

Other symptoms/illness: I frequently get sinus infections, I have a tooth (root canal) for which I am currently taking antibiotics (Amoxicillan 500 mgs x 2 day) - been on this medicine for 1 week (I have taken this medication before with no problem). I had a sinus infection in March and was given Levaquin which I took for 2 days but terrible side effects,so was given Augmentin (I believe). I also take daily pain medication for chronic pain for herniated discs and 30 degree scoliosis in my lumbar area.

I've just been feeling very tired and useless, can't seem to get the energy to do everyday things. And the crackling sounds when breathing every morning has me alarmed.

Thank you
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

Your symptoms seems to be due to an infection in the chest.

The crackling sound can be due to the rubbing of the two layers of pleura or the covering layers of the lung.

The presence of shortness of breath on mild exertion or tiredness can also come from infection.

Though you are on antibiotics, still you need an examination of chest by a doctor.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

May I ask why the chest sound is only present in the morning while laying down? If someone listened to my chest right now they probably wouldn't hear anything, and perhaps I would be sent home with a diagnosis of "a cold."

I've had bronchitis and sinus infections in the past, but never had this intermittent crackling breath sound.

What sort of antibiotic do you think would be appropriate, given that I have recently been on Levaquin, Augmentin, and now Amoxicillan?

Should I continue to try to get through my day, or should I not exert myself?

And of course, the big scarey question: could it be swine flu?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hope I'm not taking up too much of your time.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
In the laying down position there can be collection of fluid on that side which makes the sound more noticeable.

In sinusitis the infection is around the nose & in bronchitis the air tubes are affected.

The lung tissue or its membrane is not usually affected in this condtion.

It is difficult to decide on antibiotics on line. It depends on the examination findings & tests.

You should overexert yourself. Rest & taking of adequate fluid will be helpful.

Swine flu again is difficult to pinpoint on line but it presents as other flu symptoms like fever, cough, runny nose , aches etc along with stomach symptoms

You can read this link for its symptoms.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

So it sounds as if you may be suggesting that the breathing sounds are not from sinus infection or bronchitis, but something different - a chest infection, correct?

Is chest infection synonymous with pneumonia, or walking pneumonia?

Thank you
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
Breathing sounds in the chest cannot come from sinus infections,

In some cases bronchitis , you may hear sounds in the chest.

In most other cases it is from lung infections or pneumonia.

Chest infections include both bronchitis & pneumonia.

Walking pneumonia is a type of pneumonia.
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 30 years experience as doctor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
I will see a Doctor tomorrow - was hoping to avoid having to go since I do not have health insurance and a doctor visit,tests,... are very expensive.

Thank you for your help and time.

Be well.