Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

blood and protein in urine, fluid build up in abdominal cavity

blood and protein in urine, fluid build up in abdominal cavity and lung, severe pain and spasms down right flank, extreme fatigue, fever and chills
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Can you tell me more?
Age? Sex? Medications?
What sort of work up has been done so far?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
53 yr old male, Ct scan last week, didn't show any problems, tested for kidney stone,shows nothing. Does have diverticulitis, Urine is brownish. All other organs look ok. Going to a pulmary doctor in a couple weeks. He is not on any medications.
How do you know that the fluid is building up in the abdominal cavity and the lung if the CT was normal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All the CT scan showed was fluid buildup, It also showed all organs were fine
Hi
Thank you for the additional information. Any sort of fluid building up in the abdomen of a male is not normal. This can be caused by a variety of reasons, including heart failure, liver failure, kidney disease and even some malignancies. The fact that the organs look normal on CT is a good finding, but they need to find out what the fluid is composed of. In some cases, they will need to tap the abdominal or chest cavity to see the composition of the fluid. As well, he will need further tests to evaluate the function of the other organs- they may look normal on CT, but they may not be functioning properly.

best wishes

Press the green accept button if this was helpful
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Results of current urine test. Specific Grav - 1.013
Esterase - Trace
Protein 2+
Blood 3+
WBC - Ok
RBC - 20-25
Bacteria 3+
Next test is an X -ray on 5/28/09, Breathing is an increasing problem
<p>Well, it appears that you have a urinary tract infection. But if breathing has become worse, then you need to see your doctor right away. If you have fluid on your lungs, they will need to tap some of it so you can breathe better.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Best wishes</p><p> </p><p>Press the green accept button if this was helpful</p>
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing