Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
8227957

Is it possible that celiac disease could increase cholesterol

Is it possible that celiac disease could increase cholesterol and triglycerides (dramatically) in an individual? My trigs have jumped to over 700+ and I'm on Lipitor at 20 mg per day. I don't eat red nor hardly any meat - just fish & follow strict Gastroparesis diet due to having severe idiopathic gastroparesis, intestinal pseudoobstruction & severe GERD for 9+ yrs. Just rcvd. celiac disease dx. Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Celiac disease causes malabsorption.

This applies with absorption of fat also.

This leads to increase in the levels of fat in the stool called steatorrhea.

So it seems unlikely to cause rise of triglyceride & cholesterol.

http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/page7.htm#tocp

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/celiac_disease/test.html

The causes of triglyceride are mainly high sugar intake & alcohol.

You can read this link for causes of both.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-triglycerides-cause

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-cholesterol-cause

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 35 years experience as doctor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Saha:

Thank you so much for replying and I do need clarification. Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to give you a bit more detail regarding my case. Sir, I was placed on Lipitor in April, 1998 after repeat blood tests and diet (I actually showed an increase in triglycerides; they had increased to just about 400). I was 38 and worked full-time as a healthcare paralegal for a top 100 DC law firm. My father and several of his family members, I suspect, had very high cholesterol/trigs. and/or heart disease. My father actually died from a malignant brain tumor (post two severe CVA's) and he had diabetes. Diabetes and heart disease is apparent in maternal and paternal histories.

I AM NOT diabetic, Dr. Saha. In fact, Brian Lacy, M.D., Ph.D., Director of the GI Motility Lab (previously at Johns Hopkins Bayview Schuster Center and now at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center) had me evaluated by Dr. Ramesh Khurana, the leading Neurologist in the realm of autonomic nervous system disorders - with emphasis on orthostatic hypotension. Dr. Khurana determined I DO have the condition. Dr. Khurana termed me, "an obsessive water drinker" during my 2005 testings. I am beginning to note that my blood pressue is starting to rise, however. I don't drink except for an occasional beer [which I'm fully cognizant I'll have to give up with celiac disease]. In addition, In 2001 -- after my diagnosis of idiopathic gastroparesis --my T 1/2 emptying time was 218 minutes -- I developed Hypothyroidism, then generalized dysmotility syndrome, migraines, BPPV, TMJ and fibromyalgia.

Oh, have you ever heard of Octreotide or Sandostatin injections? I have to give myself them 2x per day to make my bowels move. I'm incredibly allergic to Reglan (it causes a sort of "lock-jaw" response in me) so I have to get Motilium (Domperidone) from outside of the US because it isn't FDA approved SO I CAN EAT AT ALL! Also, they've prescribed basically legal Marijuana pills for me....Marinol...I'm supposed to take them 2-4 times per day for nausea/vomiting and to stimulate my appetite.

Now, how in the world could I drink when brushing my teeth even makes me most of the time because my gag reflexes are so bad? Do you think it could be the combination of the "cocktail of 19 different meds. per day"?
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
From your history , it appears to me that it can be a familial one where there can be very high levels of cholesterol & triglycerides.

Another cause is there , hypothyroidism where also cholesterol level is increased.

You can read this link also.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000392.htm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Dr. Saha:

Thank you for your replies.

I hope you understand I'm a Mom, wife and woman (who used to love her work as a healthcare paralegal in Washington, DC - and I worked for over 24 yrs.). Leaving something you love because of developing an incurable illness is not easy. In retrospect, our only child, a daughter, has learning disabilities. She was only 7.5 yrs. old then and probably didn't need Mommy gone 13 or more per day.

She has dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, an auditory processing deficit and rather severe ADHD; children can be cruel so she's endured much tormenting. However, steeded myself to learn a great deal about the special education system (within public/private school settings), IEP's, and creative as well as effective advocacy methods to become my/our daughter's best champion. Today, she is a High School Sophomore, member of her School Swim Team (who earned her VARSITY LETTER in SWIMMING last year as a FRESHMAN!! WOO HOO!!...and received Outstanding Academic Achievement while on Swim Team! Also, she and her Dad are going to NYC in late July 2009 because she was selected to compete IN IMTA (Intermational Modeling and Talent Association Competition) amongst 1000's of other new "Fresh Faces"...so she just might be a new "Star on TV". More importantly, our daughter is....so much more a lovely and caring person "inside". She's not...5'11" and 100 lbs.; she's 5'4" and 100 lbs.! She told me, "Mom, I'll Never make the Honor Roll". I said, "Honey, if you do, that's great..but if you don't, as long as you did your absolute best work -- that is all that matters". I told her, "always finish what you started".

Dr. Saha, that is why in 2002 I finally completed my Bachelor of Science (Business Administration). My second B.Sc. (and I'm most proud of) was completed in 2005 (Health Sciences). I wanted my child to see I, too, could finish what I started over 30+ years ago!

My experience with these disabling, life-altering illnesses is simply that people - individually, need time to find their "comfort zones". Everything does not work for each person. One may find a remedy working for them may be considered completely miniscule and unacceptable for another individual. Often, it may take several or more years to find "what works for you". Certainly, this was (and undoubtedly with yet another diagnosis) will continue to be the way I have to handle -- my illnesses.

My confirmational testing for Celiac Disease was conducted by:
www.enterolab.com
They are a CLIA/HHS approved laboratory I thoroughly researched; also able to conduct genetic testing of HLA-DQB1, HLA-DQ analysis extensively. I carry both genes from my mother and father.

We will have our daughter tested and I will notify the rest of my siblings.

Dr. Saha, while I understand this is rarely heard of...here it goes: my Mom also died from a malignant brain tumor -- 12 yrs. before my father died of the same thing; they were unrelated except for marriage. My mother died in 1976 at age 47 (she left her brain to the American Cancer Society for research) -- and for years she was told SHE HAD A HEART CONDITION; I believe it was the tumor pressing on nerves going to her heart.

Thank you for hearing me out -- From a patient's point of view! I appreciate it very much, sir. If you have any more questions, pls. call XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for a detailed history.

Her achievements are great. Wish her a healthy life.

The way you worked with her should be an example.

I hope she will successfully carry forward with her carrier.

Best wishes for you & your family.
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)