Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  MD Pulmonology/Medicine Asthma, Allergy, 6+ years of experience in medicine and family health issues

What is the prognosis for a adult patient with hypogammaglobulinemia

My over all IgG level runs low. However my IgM runs over 500 which is almost trple. I have been in and out of the hospital all my life. I have no idea what normal is anymore. No one can seem to answer my question as to the course and or prognosis. I recieve IgG infusions every month. The pain from those is dibilitating, and seems to rest in al my large bones. can you please explain the course of my disease and what I need to be looking for?????
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry but it is not a very good news .

" Prognosis has improved significantly since the introduction of IVIG therapy to routine practice.
Mortality due to overwhelming infections remains a major risk for these patients.
Chronic lung and liver diseases result in significant morbidity and mortality.
For those who survive long enough, autoimmune diseases and cancers become a serious threat because the incidence of these diseases is several-fold higher in these patients than in matched controls."

I have tried to give an extensive answer, however please let me know if you need any other information.

Please click - ACCEPT if you find this helpful so that i get paid for my work and the deposit you have made is released. A bonus would be appreciated.

Best regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay I am 41 and have been diagnosed since I was 27, can I just expect to keep getting ill with all these strange diseases and infection and their just going to continue and worsen with time, and what is an average life expectancy for a patient like me... I guess I didn't pose my question properly