TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

can you tell me is there an alternative to tetracycline drugs

can you tell me is there an alternative to tetracycline drugs i have been useing them for a couple of years now for my acne .it keeps it under control for a while but always returns soon after course has finished .would be grateful for any advice you could offer thanks .
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 7 years ago.

Hello joville-

There are certainly alternatives to tetracycline antibiotics fro acne- It sounds like you get good results from it- almost any alternative you look at may similarly help you while you take it, but acne will return when you stop- That is the nature of acne- some people seem to "grow out of it" with age, but some do need long term medical therapy. And there is quite good safety data from people who take tetracyclines long term - with the exception of pregnancy I would not be very worried about continuing tetracycline as long as you wanted.

Other alternatives to tetracycline may include:

topical benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, topical retinoids,

Isotrentinoin ( Accutane), other different antibiotics like minocycline or erythromycin, spirolonolactone, or oral contraceptives.

If you have a more specific question please ask. The below link is a pretty good reference site.

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/treatment.html

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.