Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

When I cough there is a sharp pain in my lower abdominal.

I have a sharp, tearing pain in my lower abdomen when I cough, sneeze or bear down. No pain whatsoever otherwise. No fever. No guarding or rebound. No nausea. I feel fine. Could I have simply pulled a muscle?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I would like to ask few questions from you. Can you pin point the area of pain in abdomen? You can describe your area of pain in relation to belly button either above or below, right or left. Any diarrhea with that? Loss of weight? Heart burn? Difficulty in urination? constipation?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

A very small and specific spot a couple of inches below my belly button, to the right so, right lower quadrant.
No diarrhea or weight loss. No difficult in urination. No heartburn. And I'm not pregnant.
Doesn't hurt when I press down, only a sudden bearing down causes pain (deep cough/sneeze/getting up from prone position.

Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your details. This is related to my field of specialty. I would say it’s unlikely to be a muscle pull. Because there are many delicate structures present in that area which you pointed me (right lower quadrant). There are few possibilities here according to the type of pain which you describe. These are

Abdominal aortic aneurysm (early symptom)
Cecal diverticulitis
Abdominal abscess
Renal stone
Meckel's diverticulitis
Endometriosis

I would advise you to consult your doctor soon as possible and have a complete evaluation to rule out anything serious.
I would also recommend few tests for you

Abdominal Pelvic scan
CBC (complete blood count)
Urine analysis
Stool analysis

I can give you the possibilities here because exact diagnosis is not possible without examination.

Best of luck & Keep in touch
Regards