Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG Certified

What causes pain, pressure, fullness under my left breast

Customer Question

What causes pain, pressure, fullness under my left breast? For the last year it has been mild, but sometimes it is severe stabbing pains that prevent me from breathing deeply or moving any direction. I cannot sleep on my left side at night and am usually tender.   I have purchased bra extenders to alleviate any pressure in that area. I passed my stress test with flying colors a few months ago and had 2 mammograms last year and an MRI and a CT Scan. The pain is aggravated by stress and sometimes when my husband rubs my breast. I had silicone breast implants surgery 28 years ago, the scars are under the breasts. The pain the last time created loss of breath, confusion, numbness down both sides of my arms and for 2 weeks I have been experiencing extreme tiredness. My doctor put me on an anxiety medicine, but have been on it for 2 weeks-can't see any difference, I continue to have some slight pains, pressure day-to-day, but have not had severe pain for 2 weeks. No answers frighten me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
Pain under the left breast in the rib cage that prevents you from taking a deep breath and that is tender to touch is definitely not a heart related pain that is for sure, especially with all the normal tests that you have had. The MOST LIKELY possibility that I see is that it may be related to a muscular/skeletal pain that may in turn be due to a low grade inflammation which can be induced as a result of the silicone breast implant that you have had on that side. So if you have not had your inflammatory marker done I would suggest that you get an ESR or a CRP done to see whether there is an inflammation going on.

Regards
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, ECFMG Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks so much for your reply, I understand it a lot better and feel relieved getting a second opinion concerning a heart related problem. I do have one question though.

Is the pain due to the surgery for the implants or is the pain due to a possilbe leaking of silicone into my body?

My doctor did lab work 3 weeks ago and found I was a 25 reading on my level of Vitamin D and I am taking that supplement. Will this be beneficial in relieving my discomfort?

Thanks for all your help.

Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
The answer to your question is that it could be either due to the silicone or due to the surgery that you had. Vitamin D supplements may help you with your pain if the levels are low.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for answering, I paid $9.00 plus I gave an additional $15.00 bonus, I was not aware I would need to pay an additional $9.00 to discuss it, I was understanding otherwise, no additional charge. Please clarify. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
Yes I got the payment and you do not need to pay an additional amount of money..

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much, I certainly do appreciate it using this service, I will recommend it to my friends and use it again and again
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
You are most welcome and I am glad that I was able to help you out.

Regards