MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine

Two weeks ago I had a blood draw on my arm resulting in an

Two weeks ago I had a blood draw on my arm resulting in an egg sized hematoma and severe brusing. I am on coumadin and lovanox for a blood clot near my skull. The sight of the blood draw is severely painful, a burning sensation up and down my arm. The hematoma is now smaller but at the crease of my inner elbow and as hard as a rock. The pain is intense when I extend my arm, and increasing daily. I see my doc. tomorrow, but want more info. about what could be going on inside my arm, before we meet. Please advise and thank you so much!
As you probably realize, the fact that you are on TWO powerful blood thinners makes you exceptionally prone to this kind of problem. I am not at all surprised that you have a hematoma. I would also be expecting it to be shrinking. The only strange, disturbing aspect is that the pain is getting WORSE. You need to emphasis that to the MD when he sees you. I would worry that the internal blood is limiting movement of the tendons in your elbow. But again, that should be be IMPROVING, not worsening.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would the blood restriction to the tendons (if that is going on) cause the burning sensation I experience during movement? And, is it possible for the length of the vein to be collapsed?
It is possible that the local area of that vein has collapsed. There is no special treatment for that. And a pressure on the tendons MIGHT cause a burning sensation in the arm with movement.
Please click ACCEPT.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You may find the cause of my clot interesting info. to share with your colleagues. I have done yoga for over 20 years, each day a shoulder stand, dropping my feet over my head into what is called a plow, and then dropping my knees to my ears. Sounds contorted, but a typical yoga routine uses these moves.

Following my yoga routine I had a TIA (but felt nothing unusual during the poses, only when I stood up at the end.) The emergency room doc. determined through a cat scan I had dissected my left carotid resulting in a high grade stenosis. Go figure. I am a healthy 63 year old woman, excellent health, never sick! My cholesterol numbers are stellar, no problem there.He suggested with age, the arteries are not as supple, and this could have caused the dissection. What do you think?

I have heard of such an unusual mechanism before. And I do yoga.
Sorry to hear this happened to you.
Please click ACCEPT>
And a BONUS is always appreciated.