Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.

My husband discovered a lump at the bottom of his rib cage.

My husband discovered a lump at the bottom of his rib cage. What can this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 7 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

In order to help you better, may I request you to fill me with the following information:

Since when is he having this lump? Where exactly is it located?

How big is it? Is it painful? Any discoloration of skin?

Any injury?

Can it be moved from side to side and up and down?

Any other medical problem or significant history?

What would be his approximate age?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He says he"s had it for about the last 8 - 10 years. It is at the bottom of the rib cage in the front where the last ribs meet. I don't know how big it is. It's not painful and he is black so I don't know about skin discoloration. He hasn't had any injury. As far as I know it cannot be moved around. He is 41,no other medical problem although he smoked from age 18 - 32.

Thanks for all the information.

What brought this to his notice now (since he has been having it for 8 to 10 years)? Since it is not painful, has there been any sudden increase in size?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Actually I am mistaken, he says he has had some discomfort in breathing for awhile, but he just found the lump tonight.

What is the exact breathing difficulty is he having?

Is he otherwise OK? Has he been a good health or is falling sick frequently?

Any other lump/ node anywhere else on the body?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sometimes he has shortness of breath. He is not falling sick frequently and I don't think he has any other lumps elsewhere on his body.

Many thanks for the additional information. From the description that you have provided, a painless lump in a healthy person is probably a benign growth. Going by just some history that you have provided and have not seen it yourself, and without the benefit of a detailed clinical examination pin pointing a particular entity is rather difficult. Theoretically there could be many reasons for this lump. However commonly it is found to be one of the following: lipoma, fibroma, dermatofibroma, sebaceous cyst, dermoid cyst, etc. Costochondrial tumours and costochondritis could also present with a swelling at the site that you have mentioned. Please have a look at these sites for further insight:

Your husband will require to be reviewed by a doctor who can come to a conclusive diagnosis based on the detailed history from your husband and a clinical examination which will have to be supplemented by some tests and perhaps a biopsy of this lump. The doctor can also address the difficulty in breathing that he is having.

Best wishes. Please feel free to enquire if you need more information.