Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My left arm is numb and tingly. What is wrong.

How long have you had this?

What is your age and sex?

ANy other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

63 years - Female

About a week

Really tired

This is most commonly caused by the following conditions:

Cervical disc lesion: This may be associated with pain in the neck and weakness of the arm.

Peripheral neuropathy: common conditions causing this are diabetes, Vit. B deficiency, etc.

Vascular insufficiency: Atherosclerosis of arteries, spasm, etc, may cause vascular insufficiency.

Pain around the shoulder going down the arm, numbness of the arm and/or tingling or itchiness are all symptoms of a disc lesion. Most disc lesions are minor and can be handled with simple exercises and neck collars.

Peripheral neuropathies are most commonly caused by diabetes mellitus, but there are many other diseases as well and it needs to be well investigated to find out the cause.

Vascular insufficiency is another common cause, and is more common in those above 60 and in smokers.

You should consult your health provider or a neurologist if possible and get yourself checked up to identify the cause in your case. You may need a CT or MRI of the brain and spinal column and tests for muscle conductivity and nerve velocity, etc.
You may look up this site for a discussion on problems similar to yours:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/detail_peripheralneuropathy.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herniated-disk/HD99999

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.