Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have a group of very small bumps under my circumcision scar

Customer Question

I have a group of very small bumps under my circumcision scar that have been there for a long time now. They do not hurt, but they are very sensitive. When I touch them I get a tingly feeling in the skin in that area. there are also a few very small bumps in the area that are scattered. I would like to know what this is
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 5 years ago.
Customer

You probably have, what are called, 'Fordyce's spots'.

These are normal bumps on the genital regions in many people, especially on the male penis which are a variation of sebaceous cysts. They do not need any treatment.

It is possible that they are sensitive because the circumcision scar has affected the nerves of that region to some extent.

But you do need to be examined to check that they are indeed Fordyce spots and not anything else.

You can read more about Fordyce's spots here:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordyce

I hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I understand the fordyce's spots are normal but what I have is much different then fordyce's spots. It is a cluster of very very small bumps. I have attached a photo of it so you can better see what It is. I circled the area in red. I think you should be able to zoom in on it to better see the bumps. They look strange to me and although I know it takes one sexual encounter to contract something I dont believe that it would be anything sexually transmitted, I have had only one oral encounter in which I did not use protection.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have been waiting for longer than 12 hours now for a response and im really hoping someone can get to this issue soon as I am really concerned about it even though I doubt it is a sexually transmitted disease I still worry about these things. I will award a bonus for a fast and accurate reply.

Thank you

Customer

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The blisters on the image look like a flare-up of a herpes infection.

Herpes infection, as you probably already know, is a viral infection, which, once an infection occurs, stays in the body for a lifetime. It can cause occasional flare-ups from time to time.

The blisters that you have are very typical of herpes blisters. Herpes blisters occur in clusters and are usually very sensitive or painful to touch.

Herpes infection can occur by oral as well as by vaginal and anal sex.

A blood test should tell you if you have herpes. And your doctor should be able to prescribe an ointment like Zovirax to apply on he blisters.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will get the blood test but are you positive that it may not be anything else? I mean there is no pain at all and I think it has been there for along time unchanged.

These are more likely to be herpes, rather than anything else. They could be due to enlarged sebaceous glands or sweat glands since they have been there for a long time - it is possible that the ducts of the glands got blocked by scarred tissue from the circumcision. But I am positive that they are not due to any other STDs.