Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.

Head tingle sensation

I have a tingling sensation on the right side of my head that is annoying but not painful. I have a doctor’s appointment Monday any suggestions?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-Do you have tinnitus (ringing in ears) or imbalance while walking?
-Any history of ear infections or diabetes mellitus?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No balance problems and no ringing in ears.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

There are many possible causes of tingling in Head.

Let’s discuss most common, one by one.

The most common could be any metabolic abnormality like decreased potassium or decreased calcium which could cause possible tingling in one side of head which can be ruled out by doing a simple Basic Metabolic profile (BMP).

Diabetes which mostly presents with Paresthesias (tingling) but it does have some other symptoms like Polyuria (increased urination) Polydipsia (increased drinking)

Common Cold sometimes produces tingling at one side of head, as you did not describe any such history so that is low in our list.

Head injury can cause unilateral tingling but I suppose that as you did not mention so this is also low in our list.

A stroke can possible cause tingling, it can be silent, which can be ruled out by CT scan of head.

Multiple sclerosis which mostly happens to women in 30s may also present with tingling in their head which is rarest possibility.

It can`t be any ear infection as you earlier said that you do not have any ringing in your ears or balance problems.

My advice to you is to get Basic Metabolic profile (BMP) and Fasting Blood glucose and if they are normal then we may consider rest causes. But obviously during physical exam your doctor could possible find a silent ear infection which you may not be aware of, which may be leading to your symptoms.