Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.

My husband was shocked by a 220 volt at work. It did not knock

My husband was shocked by a 220 volt at work. It did not knock him out. He was told electric was off by the owner of warehouse. He was standing on a crate on a fork lift., It through him off the crate on the cage of fork lift. He got up this morning and his left arm had no feeling. When feeling started coming back he says it tingling like full of electricty.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello

I will advice your husband to drink plenty of fluids like water and will ask him to go near by hospital to get an electrocardiogram(EKG), serum potassium, serum creatinine, serum CPK and a urinalysis
In urinalysis you will come to know whether your husband actually is having some blood in urine.Many times we don`t see blood ,but there is microscopic amount of blood in urine and muscle releases various other things which could be harmful to kidney.May be he does not have any blood in urine,its always advisable to rule out this possibilty.

The reason for me advising him to drink lot of fluids at present is that it will be benefecial for proper kidney function to eliminate harmful products released by muscle if any.

EKG will be done to rule out any arrythmia which he might ot might not be having.

What happens with a electric shock is that your muscle leaves a lot of potassium in blood which is dangerous for the heart.Increased potassium in blood can cause similar symptoms like numbness and tingling which your husband is having at present.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I thank you but I'm sure you are use to people just saying I am ok. Hospital is out of the question for now. I can handle the water. Are there any other symtoms I should look for?

Can I kept a check on pulse or blood pressure. He is stubborn says he will be alright.

The shock did not even burn his hand. I thought electricty was suppose to come and burn

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello

You should watch him for any chest pain, shortness of breath, altered sensorium(confusion) and worsening of tingling and numbness.

Another important thing you should follow is his urine output.Is he passing urine normally and does he has any pinkish or red color urine.

What happens about electrical injury is that it electricity travels through resistance parts of body like bones.The area burnt may be very minimal or even negligibe but the damage inside may be high.

There are some late complications also of Electric injury like cataracts which should also be considered.

Now about Blood pressure and Pulse.-:
These parameters are important to follow but still I will highly recommend him to get a physician check up.

Thanks

Dr. B., Doctor
Experience: Physician with 8 years of experience.