Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I am 32 and have been experiencing numbness in my anus and

I am 32 and have been experiencing numbness in my anus and lower penis. I recently had a colonoscopy due to rectal bleeding and several polyps were found. I do not have the results of the biopsy's. Originally I thought I had hemorrhoids, but my primary care only found a fissure on the anus. Is the numbing a sign of colorectal cancer? anything else I should be asking my doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Hemorrhoids and fissures can cause similar symptoms. If you only had polyps then you do not have cancer unless there is cancer found in one of the polyps. Your doctor will tell you that after the results arein. the numbness may be from the Fissure or from the trauma of the colonoscopy itself. It is not a sign of colorectal cancer. Ask your doctor what type of polyps were found and when you should return for a follow-up colonoscopy.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, is the numbing of the anus and lower penis a symptom of a fissure?
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
A fissure causes stinging pain.

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So what would cause the numbing? No feeling, no sensitivity, etc.?
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
You must ask your doctor to see if it was related to the colonoscopy.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was happening 3-4 weeks prior to the colonoscopy.
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
You don't have cancer. You need to be evaluated by a neurologist.