Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

I have a hard lump protruding from my wrist on the thumb side.

I have a hard lump protruding from my wrist on the thumb side. It has appeared after about 10 months of pain in the thumb side of my wrist. Now as well as the pain in the wrist and the lump I get a burning sensation in the top of my hand between my forefinger and thumb. Do you know what this can be? Have had an xray but no abnormality has been detected.

What is the size and shape of the lump?

Is is painful, red and tender?

How old are you?

Are you diabetic?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is about 1.5 cm in diameter, it is not red but tender if I tap it gently, feels a little bruised if I press it firmly, does not move around like I would expect a cyst to. Feels like a bone. I am 26 and not diabetic

This can be following;

1) A ganglion; this sometimes can be slightly painful due to associated tendinitis (tendon inflammation) or tenosynovitis (tendon sheath inflammation); for which you have a history of pain. This needs wrist brace, anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin, local analgesic patch/ointment/spray and rest to the wrist.

2) Bursitis; These are soft tissue structures to provide glistening surfaces for the smooth movements of the tendons. Treatment is as above.

These are the resources where you can read about them;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

would these two things not show up on an xray? Also my wrist sometimes feels like it has been clicked out of joint although there is no clicking noise is this a symptom of this condition? Would these be the symptoms of bone cancer? Does bone cancer always show up on an xray?

Both of these would not show up in the x-ray, as these are soft tissue affections. Bone cancer would be seen in the x-ray. These are unlikely to be symptoms of bone cancer. Please do not worry about it.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun