Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

small lump on the outside of my right leg just above the ankle

Customer Question

I have a small lump on the outside of my right leg just above the ankle. It is soft and has no color at all. It has been there for a while I just thought it was nothing. Now I seem to be having some strange pain with it sitting or walking. Kind of a ripping or tearing pain. Can you help me figure out what this is and how worried I should be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 7 years ago.
   Wat you are describing is most probably a bursitis. Bursa are fluid filled sacs around joints for smooth movement. In some cases (e.g. excessive running, jumping, injury etc) the bursa can get inflamed. You need to consult your doctor for confirming the same and starting treatment.
In the meantime, take oral anti-inflammatories like tylenol/motrin, apply cold compresses on the affected area and do not strain the affected ankle.
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THIS LUMP IS ABOVE THE ANKLE BONE ON THE OUTSIDE, IT HAS NOW SHOWN IN AN X-RAY TO BE A MASS, BUT THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT KIND. WOULD BURSITIS BE COLORLESS AND SOFT UNDER THE SKIN? WOULD IT CAUSE THE AREA AND ALL SURROUNDING AREAS TO HURT OR FEEL LIKE A RIPPING OR TEARING?
A bursitis is felt a a soft mass which can inflammation of the surrounding skin ans is painful. It is mostly as you have described.
Regards