Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

I have had occasional blood with my stool. Last night it was

I have had occasional blood with my stool. Last night it was bloody mucous, but no blood on the actual stool. This has only happened about one other time in the last 3 years. I went to the doctor about 2.5 years ago to check it out. He didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about since it does not occur often, and usually only happens one or two times every 2-3 years(for about 8-9 years). Any help is appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 7 years ago.
Hello

The condition having fresh red colored blood in stool is called hematochezia. Generally, the closer the bleeding site is to the anus, the blood will be a brighter red.This blood is coming from lower gastro intestinal tract. Its most common causes are: hemorrhoids,anal fissures,diverticular bleeding,intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis),inflammatory bowel disease. ulcerative collitis,crohn's disease.

.But as it does not occur often, and usually only happens one or two times every 2-3 years,it doesnot seem to be anything serious. If it comes often,then there is need of consultation of doctor.Otherwise you can wait & watch.

Regards,

Dr.David

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.