Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)

My throat always hurts in the morning... and then in afternoon

My throat always hurts in the morning... and then in afternoon or night it feels like I swallowed a pill wrong or like I have something tight around my neck? Any idea what is causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly answer a few questions against their numbers .

1) Since how many days are you having this problem ?

2) do you have difficulty in swallowing food /water or both?

3) do you have fever , sore throat , cough , cold , sneezing or nasal blockage?

4) What all medications have you tried so far?

Regards...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1) I have been having a sore throat every morning for over 3 weeks now... and throat tightening for about two weeks and usually only at night time but sometimes it won't happen at all.

2) I don't have any difficulty swallowing food or water... eating and drinking actually helps it feels better... taking a deep breath also relieves the tightness.

3) I have a sore throat... an occaisional cough and nasal blockage usually in the morning or at night.

4) I went to the doctor for the sore throat a little over a month ago and got diagnosed with an ear and throat infection and was perscribed antibiotics. After the antibiotics were finished my ear infection was gone but my throat started hurting again in the morning about a week after finishing the antibiotics. I have tried benedryl (thinking it could be spring allergies) and tylenol for the pain.... tylenol does not relieve the pain.

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, thanks for the reply and additional information . It seems that you are suffering from Pharyngitis ( inflammation of pharynx / throat ) , also known as sore throat in lay terms , and this pharyngitis typically causes the tightening like feeling , that you are feeling right now.

It is quite possible that although your ear infection got treated , but throat still harbored some foreign antigen , and so the symptoms such as these appeared.

But, do not worry , as this is very common and can be treated .I am mentioning below the treatment regime that you should discuss with your doctor and get started on.

1) 1 Good antibiotic drug such as Azithromycin or roxithromycin , to complete the full course of this antibiotic , by taking it for 5 days . Discuss the dose of the antibiotic mentioned with your doctor and accordingly let him decide the time of intake.

2) Along with antibiotic , you should also start on 1 anti inflammatory drug for pain relief such as ibuprofen and also take 1 anti histaminic drug for treating accompanying allergy such as Cetrizine , which is to be taken only once a day , preferrably at night .

So, i suggest you discuss the above mentioned regime with your doctor and get started on it , and continue these drugs for 5 days , that is complete the full course of treatment , and i am sure you will get alright .

Meanwhile , while you are on these drugs , you have to avoid oily and spicy food and cold beverages .

I wish you rapid recovery to the best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience: Doctor ( General Medicine)