Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have extreme belly bloating. No matter what I eat, My stomach

I have extreme belly bloating. No matter what I eat, My stomach bloats and I gain about 7 pounds or more. It is severe. I dont know how to control this.   It has gotten worse and I have gained weight.   Some foods make it worse, but it seems that unless I starve myself, I will be forced to live with the belly bloating. what Do you recommend what I should do. Constipation has been a problem, but I do exercises and eat fiber and have a bowel movement usually every day now. Sometimes I eat flax in my yogurt for regularity. Any suggestions? I eat healthy and am otherwise very healthy and have perfect blood work.    I am a 48 year old female.    My doctor says to eat more fiber which I do, and have regular bowel movements now, but the bloating is out of control, even when I limit the fiber, I have extreme bloating.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
Try this advice for the bloating.

When a person has excess gas causing bloating, belching and excessive flatus the majority of the gas comes from swallowed air. Some amount of gas is produced by bacteria acting upon the food that you eat. With that in mind it is important to try to limit the amount of air that you take into your system. It is important to eat slowly and not gulp down your food. It also is helpful to not drink with meals and wait for 10 or 15 minutes until after you finish eating. Drinking tends to introduce air into the stomach. Also it is important to avoid carbonated beverages and also certain foods that tend to form gas such as beans, broccoli, and cabbage. Over the counter anti-gas preparations are helpful in breaking up large pockets or bubbles of gas and forming smaller ones making the gas easier to expel. Try to obtain products that have simethicone in them and take as directed. Something that is not proven but may be helpful is to take probiotic drinks such as Activia. I hope this advice helps you.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This information is helpful but what about food allergies? Any specific diet I should try? Although I do have problems with gas, if I eat certain foods, I dont think that is my main problem. I think my problem is related to when I eat certain foods, my body reacts by getting bloated. Even if I dont eat broccoli, i may get extremely bloated. Problem is, that almost everything affects me, unless I ate only carrots or celery all day, which would not give me any nutrition. Any other advice or diet recommendations?
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
I have made diet recommendations above and you may try them if you wish. I would also suggest you ask your doctor to do an ultrasound on your gallbladder to rule out gallstones.