Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

I have sever sinus pressure on the right side of my face. My

I have sever sinus pressure on the right side of my face. My right upper lip, jaw, nose, eye, eyelid, forhead and sclap are numb from all the pressure. My Dr. has advised me to take antibiotic for 2 wks and to follow up then. She has not ever took a xray to make sure everything is ok inside. Should I go in to urgent care or ER for some relief?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Have you had sinus problems before?

Do you have a fever?

Is your face visibly swollen?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No Major sinus problems, just colds here and there

Yes I feel that I have a fever.... cold chills

I don't think its swollen by the looks.

Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Since you have a fever and severe symptoms, I do think imaging is indicated. A sinus CT should be done to confirm the diagnosis of sinusitis, especially since you do not have a history of sinusitis.

Severe sinusitis should be treated with both antibiotics and steroids(either steroid nasal spray or oral prednisone). I would recommend using steroids in your case to decrease sinus inflammation.

People with sinus disease and facial swelling need to go to the ER( sinus infection spreading to facial tissue is a medical emergency). Since you do not have facial swelling, you can go to an urgent care clinic and be evaluated. If you start taking prednisone today, you should feel a lot better very soon.

I hope this is helpful to you.