Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have a headache in my lower back part of my head, on the

I have a headache in my lower back part of my head, on the right side. Its been on & off for about a week. The last couple days its gotten worse. Its a dull ache most of the time. Then, every so often, its like a surge in that area of pain, like a stabbing pain with throbbing around it. Is this something to bne concerned about?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 7 years ago.

Hello.

This sounds like you are having migraine headache.It is a form of vascular headache and is by high stress periods,hormonal changes,irregular sleep,food habits,bad lifestyles etc..There can be various triggering agents.

Another possibility is of that it can be mixed tension migraine that is a headache with features of both tension(stress)and migraine headaches.Stress is an important causative factor of such headaches.

You need MRI or CT scan of head to rule out other causes of headache.Blood tests and/or Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) may be required.

I advice you to see your neurologist for the physical examination & then take the treatment

The most likely cause seems to be migraine or a tension headache.Tension headache is the most common type of headache.It can be caused by tightened muscles in the back of the neck and scalp or in most cases the cause is unknown.

I wish for your good health.