Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

I had an endoscopy done today and the doctor took two biopsies.

I had an endoscopy done today and the doctor took two biopsies. On the paperwork I received this is what it said:   Mild Erythema in the Antrum (biopsy) , Question of Atrophy in the third part of the Duodenum (biopsy), No retained food but suspect diminished peristalsis, Otherwise normal EGD to third part of duodenum. The nurse told me that they had taking the biopsies, and that when they were in my duodenum they noticed that it seemed more narrow then it should have been and that the folds did not look as they should. Unfortunately, I did not see my doctor afterwards and I have no idea what any of this actually means. Could someone please explain the implications of what was found.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. This is related to my field of speciality. I would try to make it very simple for you. The first finding was Mild erythema of antrum. Antrum is a part of stomach and we say it pyloric antrum. Erythema means redness so you have mild redness of that area and the most common cause is Gastritis (inflammation of gastric mucosa). The second finding is atrophy which will be confirmed by biopsy report. The most common causes for that is H.pylori infection, excessive use of proton pump inhibitors, Giardia infection and some times celiac disease do also present in terms of atrophy and the less chances are of any malignancy very rare with that. This report is only suggestive of Mild Gastritis nothing else because they are not even sure about atrophy.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed