Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

My tongue is suddenly sensitive to salt.

Do you mean you have a salty taste in your mouth?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I encounter High salty food, ie sodium, or even a pickled pepper, my tongue burns and If I swallow, I spit it back out..

You are likely to be having Glossitis, or inflammation of the tongue. It could result from various causes, such as infection (bacterial or viral), injuries, allergic reactions to foods, drugs, etc. and some systemic diseases like vitamin deficiency. Some precautions that you can try at home are: maintain good oral hygeine,rinse your mouth after every meal, use an antiseptic mouth wash like hexidine, avoid any new toothpaste, avoid sucking sweets, chewing gums, etc, avoid smoking and alcohol. Also take Vit. B supplements which you can get from your pharmacy, take two capsules a day.

Usually such precautions will get you over this condition. If the symptoms have persisted for more than 10 days or there is severe pain, any swelling of the tongue or bleeding, then you should approach your doctor.

You may try this link for more information:

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.