Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have pain in my left testicle, and yesterday had some blood

I have pain in my left testicle, and yesterday had some blood in my semen. There was less blood than semen, I'd say about 15 - 20% blood. I did have epiditimitis in 2002, but there was never any blood, and the pain was much worse, however, the pain does seem to be in the same area on the left testicle, towards what would be the back of it if I was standing up. Things I've read online say it will just go away, but the pain has been more frequent over the past couple of weeks, and my girlfriend and I had some very intense sex multiple times over the weekend. *Edit*--The blood has gone away, as has the discomfort in the left testicle. The only problem now is the right lymph node in my groin is swollen so large it is visually noticeable, however, it might not be the lymph node. Very difficult to describe. Perhaps a hernia? But what would explain the blood in my semen, albeit only happening once? This is very odd, and I would like some info before seeing a doctor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 7 years ago.

Blood in the semen occurs due to infection in the prostate, testes, epididymis or seminal vesicles.

Although the blood and discomfort has gone away now, chances are that you do still have a mild infection. And the swelling in the groin is likely to be an infected lymph node as a result of spread of infection from the reproductive tract.

Please take Ibuprofen, available OTC, thrice a day for 3 days and see if the lymph node decreases in size. if it does not, you will have to see a doctor.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello, thank you for the information. I've been taking the ibuprofen as you said, but still no changes. It's only been two days, but is there anything else I can do to reduce the inflammation? Is it even remotely possible that it is a hernia? I'm really freaked out by this.

All pain/discomfort in my left testicle has not returned, and still no more blood at all, no urination problems except the same evening that the blood occured, it felt like I had to urinate more even after I was done, and it was somewhat painful, but that was only that single incident, just like the blood in the semen.

Thanks.
<p>Hello,</p><p> </p><p>Please consult your doctor - a lump in the groin should not be ignored. </p><p> </p><p>A checkup will help pinpoint whether it is a hernia or a infected lymph node.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Saw my doctor today, and it turns out that it is in fact a hernia, accompanied by epididimitis. Antibiotics and now surgery. Go figure.. a double dose of crap.

Thank you for your help. It has been greatly appreciated.