Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG Certified
8865089

My blood pressure is very high - last night was 153/101 I

My blood pressure is very high - last night was 153/101 I can tell it is high now also but no way to check it   what can I do to get it to come down?   Very stressful at work right now
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 7 years ago.
Well, the first thing that I would like to mention is that although 153/101 is a high blood pressure but it is not "very high" by any stretch of the imagination and it is not life threatening.

Now, to decrease your blood pressure I would suggest that you relax and decrease the stress at your work. "Easier said than done" but this is the first way out. What happens is that when one is stressed out there is increase release of adrenaline in our body that causes a rise in our blood pressure.

The other thing is that you should decrease your salt intake and exercise regularly to decrease your blood pressure. If these measures fail to decrease your blood pressure you would need to be started on a blood pressure medication or increase the dose of the medication that you are already taking (if any).

Kindest Regards