Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

what can I do to get my sense of smell back

what can I do to get my sense of smell back?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
How long are you having this problem? Any other associated symptoms? Were you sick recently? have you been evaluated for it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I deloped allergies I took Zicam to open my sinus cavity for some time before I finally went to the doctor he subscribe singular nasacort and symbicort with an albuteral in haler.I can breath again but my sense of smell is gone
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Based on the information and description, it seems like you recently has sinus problem, this kind of problem can happen after sinus problem but once you are fully recovered from sinus, patient usually resume their sense of smell without much difficulty. Sometimes, when you do not recover completely and nasal passage are still blocked, in that case, it can take little longer. I think as you are kept on medication to clear the nasal passages, you can expect self recovery soon.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
You can read more about it from click here

I hope it helps you to understand your problem better.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I Have been on the mesdication for 2 years and my smell and taste are still not back

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that. If it has been there for 2 years then it's very long duration for self recovery. This kind of persistent problem can be neurogenic in nature and may be related to smell sensors (like receptors) or the nerves which transmit signals to brain. I think you will have to see a ENT specialist who will guide you further to pin point the cause, most of the time obvious causes can be treated and recovery is expected, but when there is nerve damage, recovery is less likely, but in rare circumstances spontaneous recovery can happen.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.