Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have ear clicking and pain. Ive been to an ear nose throat

I have ear clicking and pain. I've been to an ear nose throat doctor twice and he says there is not explanation for it. Because I smoked for years, he was rude and said that he would check for tumors, but found nothing as he said unexplainable ear clicking and pain tells the docs to check for cancer.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
How long have you had this clicking?

How long have you had ear pain?

Is it on one ear or both?

Is the pain constant or is it occassional?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've had it for over a year. in the right ear. it goes away with antibiotics, but returns, doesn't seem to go away. also hearing seems to turn on and off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Previous, my ear drum was covered with wax. got that removed, then still had pain and clicking, hearing turns on and off. Doctor Hantke is kind of a rude person. Very against smoking, but I've quit....so don't understand what's wrong. I won't go back to him.

Your ENT doctor was right that clicking sound and pain could signify a tumour. But since you have been examined by him, that at least is ruled out.

This clicking sound and pain occurs due to blockage of the eustachian tube. The eustachian tube is a tube which connects the ear to the nose. Blockage of the tube, which can occur due to a tumour, but also due to other causes, can cause symptoms like yours.

You can try the following OTC treatment at home.

Antihistamines - Alavert 10 mg once daily (OTC)
Decongestants - Sudafed 120 mg once daily(OTC)
Xylometazoline nasal drops - Otrivin nasal drops 2 drops three times daily in both nostrils(OTC).

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.

Another thing that you should do as often as possible is called the Valsalva Manouvre. Take a deep breath, close your nose with your fingers, puff out your cheeks and then swallow, so that air goes from the nose into your ears, do this whenever you can, this will help to give you relief.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.