Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

How do I get rid of brown spots in my eye whites

Customer Question

How do I get rid of brown spots in my eye whites?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

where are the brown spots exactly? How long have they been there? What is your race, gender and age? Any way you can post a picture?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The follwing is a letter I wrote to my doctor describing the problem in detail:

Dear Dr. Phandya,

I have a combination of problems in my eyes, I think. They are irritated constantly and itch quite a bit. But the biggest problem to me (which is probably quite superficial and silly) is that they usually, almost always actually, have this yellowish/brown tinge. The yellowish/brown tinge varies in intensity, sometimes it is absolutely terrible and brown (and I’m talking about the part that’s supposed to be white, the cornea area) and then sometimes it looks fairly normal, just a little dull and glazed.

When I was younger, I always had itchy, red eyes and was given drops to use,but as a child I didn’t like putting drops, didn’t care what color my eyes were and didn’t really mind the itching and burning, at least not as much as I minded putting dreaded eye drops.

Now, however, I’m putting in eye drops around 4 times a day (I’ve gotten over my dislike of them, I’ve had to.)

When I went by the eye doctor in California he said that the discoloration was due to allergies and prescribed a drop called FML (fluorometholone ophthalmic suspension, which I was to put for 3 days and then stop. It worked somewhat but only for a few hours after application. Since I had been told that allergies were the root of my problem I proceded to try several other allergy medicines:

Naphcon A- Works for about 4 hrs, sometimes

Visine A- Works sometimes, for varying time periods

Visine- Not an allergy medicine, just a vessel constrictor. Provides most whitening but I try not to use too frequently for fear of capillaries becoming
dependant on it.

Visine tears- Also not an allergy medicine, but I thought, or rather I read that a lubricant
might help. Doesn’t really work.

I am a little concerned because sometimes when I put a lot of drops my eyeballs…ache?

It was also suggested that what I have is just pigmentation, but if it were just that then my eyes wouldn’t become clear/normal for a couple hours on use of drops.

Also,when I raise my eyelid slightly the part that is usually covered is pretty white and normal, aside from some spots which I’ve been told is normal.

On close inspection with a magnifying mirror and a light my eyes appear to be XXXXX, XXXXXght and normal, except that there are a lot of very fine capillaries clumped together creating a meshy-thing, like a red brown tint, kind of like on a car window that gives it the creepy appearance.

For several years now I've had people ask me if I was crying or what's wrong with my eyes, etc, but it never really bugged me. Now it does, it seems like it has gotten worse, or maybe I am more sensitive to it. I really can’t stand people assuming I’m a druggie etc and I’ve developed a sort of complex about it..I don’t like people looking me in the eye because I feel like they’re all noticing and I feel awkward/bad.

One more thing. I have done liver tests as I was told that liver issues can cause eye discoloration (basically jaundice) but nothing is wrong according to SEVERAL tests over about 3 years. I have also taken cleans ing tablets given to me by a herbalist for it but it had no effect.

Advice, suggestions, comments, anything?

Thanks and please help

Hello there

I read your letter....What is your race, gender and age? Is there a pterygium that is starting to grow on the cornea (clear portion of the eye above the pupil) or are you mostly concerned about the sclera (white part of the eye) ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a 35 year old black woman. No there is no ptherygium interfearing with my vision.. How do I upload pictures to show you?

Hello there

if the reply panel you have is like mine, there is a little tree icon above near the smiley face.....use that button, do you see it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Hello brighteys1973, did you ever figure out how to upload a picture....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Give me a moment. I have to re-size my pictures. They seem to be to big to upload..
Great, I may have to retire for the evening, I will see if you were able to post it in the morning. If you cant just let me know, I have a good idea of what you are dealing with....Dr. S