How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Anil Your Own Question
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9035
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr.Anil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a strange thumping behind my right ear... just last

This answer was rated:

I have a strange thumping behind my right ear... just last few can actually feel it thump every so often with your finger against the side of my head right behind the right ear... it's sort of a twitch???   It is above the right ear but in the head, not the is about every minute or two.
Sometimes the thumping you hear might be your heart beat as there are some major arteries going right by your ear drum and you are probably hearing your heart beat.

This condition is commonly known as Pulsatile tinnitus.It is usually nothing serious and also untreatable.Less likely pulsatile tinnitus can be caused by more serious problems -- aneurysms, increased pressure in the head (hydrocephalus), and hardening of the arteries.It is advised to undergo clinical examination by your doctor.
Also, twitches may cause thumping in ear.
It is advised to consult your nearby an ENT specialist for further evaluation and managment.
I hope this helps .
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is not something i am hearing, but am feeling... like a thump just inside my skin about my right ear, but on my head, not in my ear... you can place you finger on the spot and feel actual movement every few minutes.... never had anything like it before. Just wanted to make sure it didn't sound like pre-warning to an aneurism? Thanks
Other possibilities for vascular tinnitus include dehiscence (missing bone) of the jugular bulb -- an area in the skull which contains the jugular vein, and an aberrantly located carotid artery.
An enlarged jugular bulb on the involved side is common in persons with venous type pulsatile tinnitus.
But it is advised to undergo proper clinical examination as it is essential in your case to rule out the cause.
So i suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and managment.
Dr.Anil and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Related Medical Questions