Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have a strange thumping behind my right ear... just last

I have a strange thumping behind my right ear... just last few days...you can actually feel it thump every so often with your finger against the side of my head right behind the right ear... it's sort of a twitch???   It is above the right ear but in the head, not the ear..it is about every minute or two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes the thumping you hear might be your heart beat as there are some major arteries going right by your ear drum and you are probably hearing your heart beat.

This condition is commonly known as Pulsatile tinnitus.It is usually nothing serious and also untreatable.Less likely pulsatile tinnitus can be caused by more serious problems -- aneurysms, increased pressure in the head (hydrocephalus), and hardening of the arteries.It is advised to undergo clinical examination by your doctor.
Also, twitches may cause thumping in ear.
It is advised to consult your nearby an ENT specialist for further evaluation and managment.
I hope this helps .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not something i am hearing, but am feeling... like a thump just inside my skin about my right ear, but on my head, not in my ear... you can place you finger on the spot and feel actual movement every few minutes.... never had anything like it before. Just wanted to make sure it didn't sound like pre-warning to an aneurism? Thanks
Other possibilities for vascular tinnitus include dehiscence (missing bone) of the jugular bulb -- an area in the skull which contains the jugular vein, and an aberrantly located carotid artery.
An enlarged jugular bulb on the involved side is common in persons with venous type pulsatile tinnitus.
But it is advised to undergo proper clinical examination as it is essential in your case to rule out the cause.
So i suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and managment.
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience: M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.