Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

For very first time my Urine smells strongly like popcorn.

For very first time my Urine smells strongly like popcorn. I have type 2 diabetes controlled by Metformin in combo with Glyburide. Blood sugar was 148 when last checked yesterday morning. Have not eaten fatty food recently. What is with the popcorn odor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 7 years ago.

If the 148 was a fasting blood sugar level , then it is quite high.

A change in the smell of the urine in persons whose diabetes is under control can be due to either ketones in the urine or urinary tract infection. Urinarty tract infection occurs very easily in persons with diabetes.

Urine smelling like popcorn is usually due to an infection.

Please ask your doctor for a urine test. You also need your blood sugar to be rechecked - both fasting and after meals.

I hope this helps

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.</p>