Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

The muscles on my right side of my face are not working properly.

Customer Question

The muscles on my right side of my face are not working properly. I have pain behind my eye, cannot smile right or anything that needs the muscles between my right eye and chin. It has caused problems with eating and drinking. I am 31 years old and never experienced anything like this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

How long are you having this?

Can you close your eyes?

Can you blow a whistle?

When you open the mouth does the angle deviate on one side?

Did you have any test or treatment?

Did you have any previous illness?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This started right around the 3rd of the month when I had a bad pain in the lower right side of my head it lasted almost 24 hours then everything else started. If I close my right eye it feels almost like I.m pulling the muscles to do this. I cannot whistle at this time I could before. The left side of my mouth is always open more whether I smile eat or talk. I haven't been ill or had any test or anything performed. I have also noticed my right eye waters alot more and is slightly blurry or out of focus at times and I can't correct it by wipping or closing and opening my eyes.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information,

From your symptoms it appears to be due to facial nerve palsy,

The most common cause of it is Bell's palsy.

It usually recovers within a few weeks.

You can read about it in this link.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/bells-palsy/DS00168/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all

The other cause can be stroke.

You need to have an examination by doctor to have the diagnosis & start proper treatment.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Don't worry. You likely have Bell's Palsy.

Bell's palsy is a paralysis of cranial nerve VII resulting in the inability to control the muscles of the affected side of the face. A cause of Bell's palsy has not been defintively identified, but it is believed that a virus (herpes simplex) might be the cause. The nerve gets inflammed and cannot operate properly. As a consequence, you cannot smile, blink or move your facial muscles. Some patients report some pain and numbness.

The treatment of Bell's palsy is usually with antiviral medication and steriods. Studies have shown that the earlier you start these medications, the better off you are. It is a self-limiting disease and most patients will improve without any sequelae, but a small proportion will have some continued weakness (4%). Most get better within 3 weeks.

What should you do? I would make an urgent appointment to be seen by your doctor. In the meantime, I would buy some saline eye drops to put in your eye (on the affected side). This is because the cornea dries out since you cannot close your eye properly. As well, tape your eye closed overnight.

It is important to make an appointment to be seen by your doctor to make sure that you do not have other reasons for facial paralysis, for example- tumor, stroke or Lyme disease.

If you have numbness or weakness of the arm or leg, particularly on the same side of the weakness of the face, you need to be seen in the ER right away..

Cheers

Please click the green accept button if you found this helpful. Feedback and bonus are humbly appreciated....