Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a small nodule looking growth in my naval ( belly button)

Customer Question

I have a small nodule looking growth in my naval ( belly button) that has grown over the past year and is now about the size of the tip of my pinky and is starting to hurt. It is firm. It started out just feeling itchy now its itchy and paunful, what do you recommend, what kind of doctor should I see? I showed it to my GYN and he said it was nothing. Nothing is nothing, this is something. I appreciate your help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

I would suggest that you see a dermatologist. This specialist will probably be able to identify this lesion or may decide to remove it and studied by a pathologist. It may be some type of granuloma and a basal cell carcinoma would be important to rule out.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Bray, is this an urgent matter? Is this common or could it possibly be a hernia? I am concerned about the itchiness and the pain, can you address that, and why a dermatologist, it does not seem like an external skin disorder, it seems more internal, as it protrudes from the belly button. I just do not feel complete with this answer , although it is one that I accepted and paid for a s it presents an interesting opinion. If you can provide a bit more info it would help me a great deal.
Thanks for your promptness. Customer

Hello again!

I saw your follow up question on the feedback section. The naval is not a common area for a malignant growth. It is a common area for a hernia to occur. Your description of it being firm made me think it unlikely to be a hernia. It is a common area for fungal infections and some skin disorders can occur here that you might be surprised , psoriasis for example. The firm hard lesion is not consistent with psoriasis and from the description I can not give you any definite diagnosis.It might be an exuberant growth of scar type tissue, this would be a fibroma. A granuloma is a chronic inflammatory lesion that occurs with certain indolent infections that the body fails to eradicate but controls it and walls it off. With the location this possibility came to mind but you need to see a dermatologist in order to diagnose this.

I hope this helps to clarify some. Further questions are welcome if you have any.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS in response to your last question, I don't feel that it is URGENT but neither would I put this off. Try to get in to see a dermatologist within the next week or so. If the dermatologist feels that it is a result of a deeper problem then he/she might refer you on to say a general surgeon. I understand what you are saying thet it seems to originate deep to the skin but I still feel that the dermatologist would be a good next step. If your Gynecologist did not see reason for concern and they do surgery through the naval then I don't think a surgeon should be your next stop. I get the impression that your gynecologist probably did not know what this was but had the feeling that it appeared benign. I agree with you that itching and pain are suspicious behavior that this lesion has that should be evaluated further.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Bray,
THIS WAS AMAZING!!!! Thank you so very much. I am thrilled and feel so much better. I will get to a dermaltologist next week. Thank you so much for following up and being so understanding. I must admit, even before seeing the doctor, I already feel so much better, and I am much better prepared for a visit. I feel like an armed and educated consumer!
God Bless You,
Cathleen

You are very welcome; I'm glad that I was able to help!

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD