Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

Why does BOTH of my ribs hurt, especially feeling tender, when

Why does BOTH of my ribs hurt, especially feeling tender, when touching it hurts. I didn't do anything to it, no fall, no running around etc. Started yesterday morning, and today hurts a bit more.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

How old are you, do you have any other medical history, and where exactly to your ribs hurt? Do they hurt where the ribs join your breast bone?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am soon to be 40 years old this coming may.
No not towards my breast bone. It is right in the middle.
Example, as you see a whole rib, it is right in the front in the middle.
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
This is most likely secondary to trauma which you were not aware of. Occasionally there can be inflammation between the soft material that connect the ribs. If in fact the pain persists after 48-72 hours you should get an x-ray to make sure there is no small fracture or any lesion in the ribs. In the meantime take a mild over the counter pain reliever if this bothers you but again get it evaluated and examined by a doctor if it persists. It is probably nothing but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.