Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have what looks like dry blood flakes and blood clots in

I have what looks like dry blood 'flakes' and blood clots in my urine about once or twice a week. Also small amounts of blood. Sometimes the urine is reddish at the beginning of the flow, too. Someone told me this could be due to mineral suppliments I take, which include Gluconsamine, MSM, Calcium Magnesium and minerals found in daily vitamins. Any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 7 years ago.
tom,

Blood in the urine can be due to tumors in the bladder, a stone or an infection.

WHile certain supplements do cause the urine to be reddish, the ones you list do not. Plus, if it were due to the supplements, you would not see flakes but the whole urine would be evenly reddish or orangish throughout.

If you have any burning urine or increased frequency of urine, then chances of an infection is high. If you do not have these symptoms, a bladder tumor or stone is probably causing the bleeding.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have heard that kidney stones are caused by diet. This is what I meant by asking about the mineral-heavy supplement diet I am having. is there something I can do with my diet that would impact this. Also, I am experiencing no real pain with any passages. I always hear kidney stones hurt when they come out. As I say, it is small clots and flakes that come and I can hardly feel it when they do.
Tom,

There are different types of kidney stones. The main type is a stone made up of mainly calcium and oxalate called a calcum oxalate stone. For a calcium oxalate stone to occur, the level of oxalate will also have to be high.

While taking excess calcium in your diet can increase the level of calcium in the urine, there will have to be a number of other factors to cause this calcium to separate from the urine and get deposited as stones. A very important factor is the family history. Other facors are infections, high oxalate level, a highly acidic urine (as can happen in dehydration) and a defect in the cells of the kidney.

Minerals like magnesium and citrate actually help prevent stone formation. So, although you are taking a mineral heavy supplement, a high calcium alone will not cause you to get kidney stones.

The main change in your diet that can help prevent kidney stones is an increase in the amount of water you drink.

Kidney stones may not necessarly cause pain. Pain mainly occurs when the stone gets lodged in some area of the urinary tract and causes infection and/or inflammation in that area.

Your symptoms of painless bleeding on and off though suggests a bladder tumor.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where is the response to my follow up question??
The answer is posted above your post. In case you ave not seen it, I am reposting it here: