Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

I am a 66 year old male in excellent health (except for high

I am a 66 year old male in excellent health (except for high blood pressure). I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and felt my equilibrium a bit out of balance. Atttributed it to getting up in the middle of the night. Later today when I was playing with my grandson, I suddenly lost equilibrium and could not steady myself. After a few moments I was OK and feel much better. I had no other symptoms (tingling, loss of speech, numbness etc) that would normally be indicative of a heart attack.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Is this more lightheadedness?

Or sensation of the room spinning?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Light headedness - I was trying to go in one direction but wobbled in the other. Lasted for less than a minute
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Are you on blood pressure medications?

Have you been recently sick? Any possibility you are not drinking as much fluids?

Are you able to check your blood pressure at home?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I used to be on blood pressure meds but off them - realize I should probably be back on. Been in good health and taking plenty of fluids. No do not have blood pressure capability at home.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
OK.

The sudden feeling of lightheadedness which resolves -- in particular after getting up from a lying or sitting position could be "orthostatic hypotension":

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec03/ch023/ch023c.html

Some people who are dehydrated, or have a lower than normal blood pressure (when taking their medications) can experience a greater number of these episodes.

The fact that it improves within a minute makes this more likely than another condition with the brain or the heart. But of course, if the frequency of this worsens, or duration of lightheadedness continues, seeing a doctor in person for an exam is best.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One quick question doctor - I have had high blood pressure which has been treated over the years with medicine. I let the perscription lapse and will get it renewed when I have my physical, EWould this minor event that I had be related to high blood pressure problems? More specifically, caused by my needing to be on medicine to lower the blood pressure?

Thanks in advance

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Of course, anything is possible, but the lightheadedness symptoms is usually due to not enough blood getting to the brain -- or a result of low blood pressure.

High blood pressure can cause things like bleeding into the brain causing symptoms -- but these would not go away after one minute -- the symptoms would last permanently.