Khan, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor

What is the approximate weight of a total hip prosthesis (stryker-titanium),

What is the approximate weight of a total hip prosthesis (stryker-titanium), I have bilateral hips. Also, the weight of total knee replacements, also titanium. I would like to know if the 4 replacements affect my body weight .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Khan replied 7 years ago.

Hi ssmith,

I searched to find the weight of the prosthesis, but was unable to. When I'm in the OR tomorrow, I will try to find a package and see if it states the weight. If it does, then I'll get back on and tell you...

I have held these in my hands many times. They weigh about 5 pounds per prosthesis, but please keep in mind that during the surgery a good bit of bone is removed as well from the body. About 1-3 pounds.
Based on that, I think its safe to say that you are adding about 2-4 pounds on your body per prosthesis.

I hope that helps, Please let me know if you have anyother questions.

Please also remember to click on the green "ACCEPT" button so I can get credit for ansering your question. A bonus and positive feed back would be appreciated

Dr. Khan