Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.
15267337

I have had sever abdominal pain. It only hurts when I move

I have had sever abdominal pain. It only hurts when I move around. Getting up from lying dow is the worst. I think the morning is worse than late in the day, and there are no other symptoms. the pain is across my entire stomach and has been here for 3 weeks or so. I cannot do sit ups for the pain is too severe. Im in really good shape - excercise regularly and am 63 years old
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 7 years ago.

Since how long have you been having this problem?

Any problem with stool or urine? Any nausea/ vomiting?

Where exactly is the pain?

Any other problem?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this has been going on for 3 or 4 weeks. there is no problem with stool or urine, no nausea, no vomiting. the pain is in the front of my stomach, below my belly button,seems to extend a little on either side of the belly button. there are no othre problems
Thanks.

It seems that you have a problem with the 'rectus sheath', that is the centrally placed muscle in the bdomen and goes from the epigastrium to your pubis. It is the one which comes into use while you are getting up from bed and hence it is paining you. It could be because of a rectus hematoma or a rectus sheath's partial tear. If it is a tear, I don't think it is severe or is complete, otherwise you couldn't have got out of the bed or straightened up.

Please consult your doctor to check whether anything beyond a rest, hot fomentation and pain killers is required.

Best wishes.
Please have a look at this link, which will help you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18722739?dopt=AbstractPlus

Best wishes.