Anjali
Anjali, Doctor
Experience:  Medical graduate ,MBBS,ECFMG certified MD, 10 years of experience
11789662

Im told that my body is not absorbing iron. How dangerous

I'm told that my body is not absorbing iron. How dangerous is this. I'm concerned.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anjali replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr /> IF the body is not absorbing iron ,this can lead to iron deficiency anemia.One needs to find out the cause and treat it.
Decreased absorption usually is due to an insufficient intake of dietary iron in an absorbable form.
Malabsorption of iron can be due to small intestine disease (sprue, celiac disease, regional enteritis) or previous gastrointestinal surgery.
Calcium supplementation decreases bio availability of iron; absorption is enhanced by ascorbic acid (fruit juices) while food ,caffine,tea and antacids impair absorption

For more information on iron deficiency anemia ,please read this
Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK & BONUS is always appreciated.
_______________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.