Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.

I have Jaundice, when will my eyes and skin turn back to normal

My eyes and skin have been yellow for about 2 weeks. Quit drinking, went to the Dr. and had blood drawn last friday. They havn't contacted me yet. I have no other symptoms, no nausea, no swollen legs, no itching, no stomach pain, not tired, no fever. I'm regular. I bought liver Detox pills from a healthy vitamin store. Drinking alot or water, pomegranate juice and cranberry juice along with a dose of vitamins such as multi, folic acid vitamin b. When do you think my skin and eyes will be white?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 7 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I know your age and sex please?

How much did you drink daily before you quitted?

Was any abdominal ultrasound done for liver and for ascitis (free fluid in the abdominal cavity)?

Did you ever bleed in vomiting or with the stools?

Any other medical problem?

Thanks. Shall wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm a 48 year old female. I probably drank daily about 1 bottle of wine. I had an MRI at the hospital in October and all was normal. No abdominal ultrasound was done for liver or ascitic. I never vomited blood and there was never blood in my stools. No other medical problems.

Thank you,

Thanks for the information.

Why were you in hospital in October and would you know why your MRI was done?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think to look at my organs.
*For how many days were you hospitalized in October?

* Why were you admitted in a hospital during October when your skin and eyes have turned yellowish for just two weeks ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was in the hospital Oct 6th and discharged the 10th.

Kindly let me know the reason why you were hospitalized from Oct 06 to 10, as it could enable me to help you better.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Back in October my eyes were yellow and skin was yellow. Since I'm a single mom I wanted to make sure my organs weren't shutting down so I went to ER.. When they discharged me they had told me I must stop drinking.. Well the beginning of feb, i started to drink again but not as much. Then that's when my eyes went back to yellow. They were white before feb. Now I've sworn to myself I cannot drink ever again.

Thanks for this information. It really helps to know your problem better.

Since you are having recurrent hepatitis, probably ‘alcoholic hepatitis’, it will take some time to settle down. Your eyes and skin have been yellow for 2 weeks now, and from now if you take precautions, follow the advice of your doctor, and avoid alcohol (thereby preventing further damage to liver), your eye and skin color will be back to normal in about two weeks from now.

For your additional help, I am placing here a link from Mayo Clinic that will provide you with more authenticated information about your problem. Please have a look at it.

Best wishes.