DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health

after surgery my hand are swollen what cause this

after surgery my hand are swollen what cause this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 7 years ago.
Hello Customer!
If the surgery is unrelated to the hands then there are a couple of possibilities. The most likely is from the fluids given during the surgery and rest edema can accumulate in the hands (swelling). This should resolve with time and regular activities to help mobilize the fluid. If there is redness or warmth and more commonly on one side, so unlikely if both, you can get an infection or backup from an IV site. This may respond to gentle massage and heat. If this is one sided, red, or warm then let the surgeon know as this can indicate an infection at an IV site or a thrombosis or clot.
If the surgery was at the shoulder or neck then swelling at the site can press on the veins that return fluids to the heart and cause edema in the hands.
Good Luck
Hope this helps!