Dr.Alex
Dr.Alex, Doctor
Experience:  MD 3 years experience
15467446

Should I be concerned if I took 1600 mg of ibuprofen?

Should I be concerned if I took 1600 mg of ibuprofen? I took two 800 mg tabs instead of one. I took it because of some inflammation and pain in my lower leg. I am 58, taking no other meds expect vitamins, 200 lbs.

Thank you for asking question to JA.
The usual dose of ibuprofen is 300-800 mg 3-4 times daily or 4-6 hourly as necessary.
Total daily dose should not exceed 3200 mg. The higher dose may have gastric irritation, gastrointestinal bleeding. Watch for color of the stool, if it is black, it is an indication of gastrointestinal bleeding. You can take any OTC antacid to prevent gastric irritation.
I hope my answer is helpful. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions or need clarifications. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply. I feel much relieved. It's been an hour since I took the pills and I do not seem to have any stomach problems--I have been eating crackers and bread to make sure there is enough food in there with the pills. Do I need to see a doctor for treatment if my stools are black? Again, thanks for your prompt attention. I would definitely consider using just answer again.

Yes, you should consult doctor if there is black stool. Any blood vomiting should need urgent ER visit. It is also to mention that do not take pepto-bismol, iron preparations as they can cause blackening of stool.